Save Article Instructions
Close 

NYPA: St. Lawrence-FDR hydroelectric refurbishing project in final stages

The New York Power Authority has entered the final stages of its Life Extension and Modernization Program at the St. Lawrence-Franklin D. Roosevelt hydroelectric power project.

NYPA has completed work on the 14th of 16 turbine-generators to undergo refurbishing as part of a $281 million initiative, NYPA reported.

"The Life Extension and Modernization Program at the St. Lawrence-FDR project is truly indicative of our dedication to the efficiency and continuing operation of this vital generating facility," said Michael J. Townsend, chair of the NYPA Board of Trustees. "The completion of the 14th turbine-generator keeps us on track to complete the overall initiative by 2013. The Power Authority is committed to investing in its critical energy infrastructure to ensure that these facilities are providing low-cost powers for the benefit of New York State for years into the future."

The Power Authority undertook the St. Lawrence LEM program to replace or renovate the original major generating equipment in the power project and improve the overall performance flexibility and efficiency of the facility, which has operated continuously since 1958.

The work has required a highly coordinated effort involving nine major component manufacturers in achieving numerous installation milestones. Among the most significant activities has been the disassembly and removal of the turbines, the major component of the turbine-generator units, and the renovation of their turbine-pit locations to facilitate the installation of the refurbished units.

Alstom Hydro was awarded two independent contracts to manufacture all 16 replacement turbines. The turbines are of two different designs, corresponding with the original equipment manufactured by Baldwin Lima Hamilton and Allis Chalmers.

For more hydropower news and information, click here


To access this Article, go to:
http://www.hydroworld.com/content/hydro/en/articles/2011/08/nypa--st-lawrence-fdr.html