EDB said it formed a partnership March 6 with Cemig to perform feasibility studies of hydroelectric projects totaling 360 MW and wind parks totaling 500 MW. In another partnership, the utilities and the engineering companies are to perform feasibility studies of hydroelectric projects totaling 674.4 MW.
EDB said it is to be responsible for engineering studies while Cemig will handle environmental studies. They estimated the analyses would be complete by first quarter of 2009.
If the studies demonstrate projects are feasible, the utilities will constitute a special purpose company to carry them out. EDB is to have 51 percent interest in the joint venture, with Cemig holding the remaining 49 percent.